Many of us have struggled with our weight at one time or another, but we aren’t the only ones facing this problem — more and more often our four-legged friends are also battling the bulge. One out of every two pets is overweight or clinically obese, making obesity the most common disease afflicting our pets. Excess weight can reduce the length of a pet's life by as much as 20% — in humans this would be the equivalent of 15 years!
Help Your Pet Lighten Up
To help your pet lose weight, you must reduce the number of calories he eats and increase his energy output. By following a supervised program of calorie control and moderate exercise, you can help your dog or cat lose weight steadily and safely. This approach will leave him feeling full after meals while assuring he receives adequate nutrition.
- Do not feed table scraps or human food.
- If you have multiple pets, feed them separately so you can better monitor and control the total calorie intake of your overweight pet.
- Provide a variety of toys for him to play with.
- Ensure he gets regular, moderate exercise.
- Have your pet weighed regularly at our hospital to monitor weight loss.
What to Feed Your Pet
We recommend a new approach to pet weight loss on the market. Hill’s Prescription Diet® Canine/Feline Metabolic Advanced Weight Solution provides weight loss and maintenance nutrition that naturally works with each pet’s unique metabolic response. Natural ingredients activate your pet’s metabolism to burn excess body fat, affect calorie utilization and control hunger. In real-world testing with pet owners and their pets at home, 88% of pets lost weight over two months.