Heartworms in Dogs
Canine Heartworm Information
Video on Heartworm Life Cycle for Pet Owners
Interesting Facts About Mosquitoes
- Only female mosquitoes bite.
- Mosquitoes are attracted by several things, including heat, movement, body odor, lactic acid and carbon dioxide. They especially love stinky feet!
- Mosquitoes prefer smaller targets due to increased body heat (infrared light) compared to people.
- You’re more likely to be a target for mosquitoes if you consume bananas.
- Mosquito activity increases 500x during a full moon.
- The average lifespan of a female mosquito is up to 100 days. The male lives 10 to 20 days.
- Female mosquitoes can live 30 days in extremely cold weather.
CPAH Best Products
Each year, we choose the most effective and economical prevention for your pet. Our "CPAH Best Product" prices are lower than the major online pet pharmacy because we have savings with vendor rebate coupons not available online or in retail stores.
- Interceptor ® Plus: Once-a-month chewable that prevents heartworms and intestinal parasites. Purchase 12 doses, receive a $12 instant cash back.
ProHeart® 12: 12 Months, ONE Shot, Zero Worries! ProHeart®12 is a safe, easy and convenient way to provide protection against heartworm disease and intestinal parasites. Receive a $5 rebate on ProHeart 6 and a $20 rebate on ProHeart 12. Coupons can be used as CPAH credit.
Learn more ... "It Only Takes One Video".
Enjoy FREE SHIPPING on orders over $49 from our online Home Delivery, but not all rebates qualify online.
What About Heartworm Resistance?
Heartworm Drug Resistance: It’s real! Recent evidence indicates that a dog faithfully given heartworm-prevention medication may still become infected with heartworms. Convincing evidence of resistance was presented by multiple researchers at a meeting of the American Association of Veterinary Parasitologists. Because of this, the American Heartworm Society advises an annual blood test, even if they are on year-round preventative.
Should My Pet Receive Flea & Tick Medication?
The incidence of tick transmitted diseases such as Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is on the rise in our dog patients. These agents can have life threatening consequences. Big or small, if your dog is exposed to grass, they ARE exposed to ticks. For pets on ProHeart, we recommend adding Simparica, a tasty monthly chewable that protects against fleas and ticks. Purchase 6 doses receive a $15 rebate coupon, purchase 12 doses receive a $35 rebate coupon.